Pests are the last thing anyone would want in their backyard or house. Many people restore to chemical pest repellents and pest control products to combat pest infestation. However, pet parents can’t use just any other over-the-counter pest repellents. They have to consider their pets before relying on any chemical pesticides. The toxins and chemicals used in pest repellents are harmful to other living creatures, including kids and pets. Since pets and wild animals explore their environment by sniffing or licking things, they are susceptible to toxic chemical pesticides. If a pet is exposed to the chemical pest-control product, you should immediately bring them to the nearest veterinary clinics Virginia Beach.
Why are Chemical Pest Control Products Dangerous to Pets?
The use of chemicals in pesticides is not uncommon. While they are effective in curbing infestation, they can pose a danger to other living beings like pets and wild animals. Pets can pick the chemicals in their hair, mouth, paws, or tongue. If the chemical is sprayed in the areas where the pet plays or lives, it can be lead to accidental poisoning.
For any pet parents seeking remedies for pests and rodents, their number one priority should be preventing pet poisoning. Rodenticides that come in the form of baits and pellets can look tempting to the pet. If pets ingest rodenticides, they can experience internal bleeding, neurological symptoms, organ failure, and even death.
Signs of possible pesticides-poisoning in pets
Depending on the pesticides the pet has ingested as well as the level of exposure, the symptoms of poisoning can be mild or severe. Vomiting, drooling, loss of appetite, increased heart rate, coughing, diarrhea, troubled breathing, muscle spasm, seizures, blood clotting, hyperthermia, anemia, and death are some signs of toxin exposure in pets.
If you notice these signs in your pets even when they have not been exposed to chemical-infused pesticides, you should take your pet to Virginia Beach pet hospital.
Safety tips when using pet-safe pesticides
Pet parents should do their due diligence when using any pesticides or rodenticides. Whenever buying any pet-safe pesticides, carefully read the label and its ingredients. Only buy those products that are manufactured in the USA and approved by the FDA.
Even if a pesticide is labeled pet-safe, you should avoid using it in the presence of your pets. Make sure the place you are putting the pesticide is not accessible by the pet. If you use any spray or liquid pesticide, wait until it completely dries before letting your pet roam free. Before applying the product directly to the affected area, test it in a small space. Also, make sure you follow the instructions and precautions mentioned in the bottle before using the pesticide.
Pet parents should refrain from using edible pallets and baits to combat rodents as the pet may mistake it for a treat and ingest it. Moreover, dead rodents that have eaten the bait also pose a threat to pets. Instead of rodenticides, you can use traps to capture the rodents. Make sure you place the traps where your pets can’t reach them. …